Get Matched With Marketing Programs
What is Marketing?
A marketing professional is someone who helps companies and organizations promote and sell their products or services in Virginia. Marketing professionals use market research, advertising, public relations, and other strategies to create interest in a company’s products or services.
There are many different types of marketing professionals, but most have a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or a related field. Some marketing professionals start their careers in entry-level positions and work their way up the ladder. Others may begin their careers as freelance consultants.
The job outlook for marketing professionals is positive. Companies are always looking for ways to reach new customers and markets, so there is always demand for skilled marketing professionals.
Compare Popular Online Marketing Programs
Online Marketing Education in Virginia
In Virginia, online marketing degree programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels by a number of colleges and universities. Online programs at the undergraduate level typically lead to a Bachelor of Science (BS) or a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in marketing, while those at the graduate level can provide students with a Master of Science or Arts, but often professionals choose to earn a Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in marketing.
The online coursework in marketing programs covers topics such as consumer behavior, market analysis, advertising campaigns, and digital marketing. Students can also gain practical experience through internships or other hands-on opportunities.
Some common marketing jobs include advertising executive, market research analyst, and sales manager. Advertising executives develop and oversee campaigns to promote products or services. Market research analysts collect data on consumer behavior to help businesses make informed decisions about their marketing strategies. Sales managers develop and implement plans to increase sales and grow their businesses.
Find Your Online Marketing Program
A degree in marketing can open up a wide range of career opportunities for students. With the right education, students can enter into any number of exciting and challenging careers in the business world.
Online Associate Degree in Marketing (AS)
An online AS degree in marketing can provide students with the foundational knowledge and skills they need to pursue a career, though a bachelor’s is a more commonly earned degree. Marketing is a dynamic and ever-changing field, and an associate degree can give students the ability to think critically about marketing problems and develop creative solutions.
Marketing is all about understanding customer needs and desires and then creating a unique selling proposition that meets those needs. An associate degree in marketing online will teach you how to identify target markets, understand consumer behavior, and create effective marketing campaigns. You'll also learn about market research, product positioning, and branding. With these skills, you'll be prepared to enter the workforce as an entry-level marketing professional.
Online Bachelors Degree in Marketing (BS)
An online bachelor's degree in marketing is a four-year undergraduate degree that prepares students for a career in marketing, and it is the most common starting degree in this field. Marketing is the process of creating and delivering messages that promote products, services, or ideas.
An online bachelors in marketing provides students with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed. Marketing courses at this level cover topics such as market research, advertising, and sales management. In addition to taking courses specific to marketing, students also complete general education requirements in areas such as English, math, and history.
Upon graduation, marketing majors are prepared for a variety of careers in the marketing field. Many go on to work in advertising agencies or become brand managers. Others work in public relations or market research firms.
Online Masters Degree in Marketing (MS)
A master’s degree in marketing online can provide online students with the advanced knowledge and skills they need to succeed at higher levels in this competitive field. By studying topics such as consumer behavior, market research, and global marketing strategies, students can develop a well-rounded skill set that will prepare them for a variety of marketing careers and even management or supervisory positions.
Graduates with a master’s degree in marketing may find positions as marketing managers, advertising executives, or public relations specialists. With the right combination of education and experience, graduates may even be able to advance to top executive positions within their company. An online master’s degree in marketing can open doors to many exciting and rewarding career opportunities.
Online PhD Degree in Marketing (PhD)
A PhD in marketing is the highest degree that can be earned in marketing and is often used as a terminal degree for professorships at universities. As such, it is also the most difficult to obtain, requiring four to six years of study beyond the Master’s level. PhD in marketing curriculum emphasizes research and theory in marketing, preparing students to teach marketing at the collegiate level or to pursue careers in marketing research.
Most PhD programs in marketing require students to complete coursework in research methods, statistics, and microeconomics, as well as a core set of classes in marketing theory and practice. Students must also write a dissertation or doctoral study, which is an original research project that makes a significant contribution to the field of marketing. Because of the high level of specialization required for a PhD in marketing, most students have several years of experience working in the field before starting their doctoral studies.
Online Marketing Certifications
A marketing certification can help job seekers stand out in a competitive field. Many colleges and universities offer certification programs in marketing that can be completed in addition to a degree or as a standalone credential. Marketing certifications typically cover topics like digital marketing, market research, or advertising. Earning a certification can show potential employers that you have the skillset needed to succeed in the role.
There are many benefits to pursuing a marketing certification, but it’s important to make sure that the program you choose is accredited and reputable. Do your research to find a program that fits your needs and will help you achieve your career goals.
Find Online Marketing Schools
Become a Marketing Manager in Virginia
In order to become a marketing professional in Virginia, there are a few steps that you might want to take.
Step 1: Get a degree in marketing
A degree in marketing can open up a world of opportunities for students. With the right education, students can enter into a career in marketing and begin to make a difference in the industry. Marketing is a field that is constantly changing and, with the right education, students can stay ahead of the curve. There are a number of marketing colleges and degree programs available to students. A degree in marketing can be obtained at many universities, and there are many different types of programs available. Students should research the different options available to find the best fit for their needs. With a degree in marketing, students can enter into a variety of careers. Marketing is a field that offers many opportunities for those with the right skillset. With the right education, students can begin to make a difference in the industry and start on a career path that is both rewarding and challenging.
Step 2: Complete an internship in order to gain experience in the field
An internship is a great way to gain experience in the field of marketing. By interning with a company, you will be able to learn about the day-to-day operations of a marketing department and get a feel for the industry. Additionally, you will be able to network with professionals in the field and potentially land a job after graduation.
Step 3: Obtain certification from the American Marketing Association or another organization
There are many ways to specialize in marketing, and one important way is to obtain certification from the American Marketing Association or another organization. This can be a great way to show future employers that you have the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed and thrive. There are many different types of marketing certification programs available, so it’s important to do some research to find the one that best fits your needs. Once you have obtained your certification, be sure to list it on your resume and include it in your portfolio so that potential employers can see that you are serious about marketing.
Step 4: Stay up to date on the latest marketing trends and techniques
As a marketing student, it’s important to stay up to date on the latest marketing trends and techniques. This can be done by reading marketing journals, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with other marketing professionals. Some of the latest marketing trends include content marketing, native advertising, influencer marketing, and data-driven marketing. To stay ahead of the curve, it’s important to be familiar with these concepts and how to implement them into your marketing strategy. In addition to staying up to date on trends, it’s also important to have a solid understanding of the basics of marketing. This includes understanding consumer behavior, market research methods, and effective communication strategies. With a strong foundation in the basics, you will be better equipped to implement new trends and techniques into your work.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor's in Marketing?
A bachelor's degree in marketing can lead to a variety of different career paths. With a degree in marketing, you could find a job in advertising, public relations, brand management, market research, or sales. You could also work in a number of different industries including retail, technology, and healthcare. You might even be able to move into management positions in other departments, or across industries, once you’ve gained experience.
Potential Careers for Marketing Graduates
- Marketing Director:
A marketing director is responsible for developing and implementing marketing plans and strategies to increase sales and grow the company. They work closely with other departments to ensure that all marketing activities are aligned with the company's overall goals and objectives. They are also responsible for overseeing the budget for marketing activities and ensuring that all marketing campaigns are effective and efficient.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing or related field
- 5+ years of experience in marketing or related field
- Proven track record of increasing sales and growing company
- Strong understanding of marketing principles and strategies
- Excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills
- The mean annual wage for marketing managers in the US in 2021 was $153,440 The mean annual wage for marketing managers in Virginia is $169,990
- Special Events Manager :
A special events manager plans and coordinates all aspects of company-sponsored events such as conventions, trade shows, and product launches. They are responsible for budgeting, finding venues, negotiating contracts, and working with outside vendors.
- Proven experience as an event planner or coordinator
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding communication and negotiation abilities
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- The median annual wage for meeting, convention, and event planners in the US in 2021 was $49,470
- The mean annual wage for meeting, convention, and event planners in Virginia is $58,890
- Marketing Coordinator:
A marketing coordinator is responsible for planning and executing marketing campaigns, as well as managing the day-to-day operations of the marketing department.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, or a related field
- 2-4 years of experience in marketing or a related field
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- The median annual wage for advertising, promotion, and marketing managers in the US in 2021 was $133,380
- The mean annual wage for advertising and promotions managers in Virginia is $132,310
- Business Development Director:
A business development director will be responsible for leading and executing the company’s business development strategy. This includes identifying and pursuing new business opportunities, developing and maintaining relationships with key partners, and overseeing the business development team.
- Proven experience as a business development director or similar role
- Strong understanding of the sales process
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong leadership and team-building skills
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or related field
- The median annual wage for training and development managers in the US in 2021 was $120,130
- The mean annual wage for training and development managers in Virginia is $126,110
Search Programs Offering Marketing Majors
- Media Buyer:
A media buyer is responsible for the planning and placement of advertising for a company or organization. They work with media outlets to negotiate rates and secure ad space.
- • Bachelor's degree in advertising, marketing, or related field
- • 2-4 years of experience in advertising or media buying
- • Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- • Strong analytical and research skills
- The mean annual wage for buyers and purchasing agents in the US in 2021 was $72,540
- The mean annual wage for buyers and purchasing agents in Virginia is $78,630
- Operations Manager:
An operations manager will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the company. They will be in charge of ensuring that all departments are running smoothly and efficiently and will also be responsible for developing and implementing company-wide policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field
- 5+ years of experience in management or leadership role
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The mean annual wage for general and operations managers in the US in 2021 was $115,250
- The mean annual wage for general and operations managers in Virginia is $127,380
- Account Manager :
An account manager is responsible for maintaining and growing relationships with assigned accounts by providing outstanding customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or related field
- 3-5 years of account management experience
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The mean annual wage for sales managers in the US in 2021 was $142,390
- The mean annual wage for sales managers in Virginia is $161,990
- Merchandising Manager :
A merchandising manager is responsible for all aspects of the company's merchandise planning and execution. They work with vendors to ensure product quality and availability, while also developing strategies to maximize profits. They must be able to forecast trends and manage inventory levels to meet customer demand.
- Bachelor's degree in business, merchandising, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in merchandising, retail management, or a related field
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The median annual wage for purchasing managers, buyers, and purchasing agents in the US in 2021 was $75,410 and merchandise displayers and window trimmers earned $32,060
- The mean annual wage for purchasing managers in Virginia is $144,540 and merchandise displayers and window trimmers earn $34,030 Read More About Specialized Business Careers