What is Business Administration?
A business administration professional doesn’t necessarily need to have completed a college degree or program in business administration, though it can help you move up more quickly. This type of professional typically works in an office setting, although some may work remotely. Business administration professionals handle administrative tasks such as scheduling, bookkeeping, and customer service. Some also specialize in specific areas of business administration, such as human resources or marketing.
The duties of a business administration professional can vary depending on the size and type of company they work for, as well as their specialization, which will decide which department they manage. In smaller companies, business administration professionals may be responsible for a wide range of tasks. In larger companies, they may specialize in one particular area of the business. Regardless of the size or type of company, business administration professionals typically need to be well-organized and detail-oriented. They should also have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Business Administration Education in Virginia
The field of business administration is one of the most popular areas of study at colleges and universities across the United States, including Virginia. Each year, thousands of online students enter into business administration programs with the goal of becoming successful business professionals.
Virginia is home to a number of excellent online colleges and universities that offer undergraduate business administration programs. Most business administration programs require students to complete a core set of courses in topics like accounting, finance, marketing, and management. In addition to these core courses, students may also take elective courses in areas of interest. For example, a student interested in human resources might take courses that teach them about subjects like labor relations or employee benefits.
Graduates of business administration programs can go on to careers in a variety of industries. Many find jobs in the corporate world, working for companies in a variety of industries. Others go on to start their own businesses.
Online Associate Degree in Business Administration (AS)
An online associate degree in business administration can be a great way to start your career in business. Many colleges and universities offer this degree, and it can be completed in as little as two years. With an associate degree in this field, you'll be able to pursue a variety of entry-level positions in businesses of all sizes. However, it’s important to know that you may not be able to move far past the entry level without a higher-level degree or quite a bit of experience under your belt.
But, if you're interested in pursuing a career in business administration, an online associate program is still a great place to start. With an associate degree, you'll be able to get a job and you can also use your associate degree as a stepping stone to a bachelor's. Many employers prefer to hire candidates with at least a bachelor's degree, but they may hire you with the caveat that you earn your bachelor’s in a certain period of time. Or some companies might help you pay for your bachelor’s with the plan that you will spend at least several years after earning your degree working for the company.
Online Bachelors Degree in Business Administration (BS)
A business administration online bachelors can prepare students for a variety of management positions in businesses, government agencies, and even non-profit organizations. Coursework covers topics such as accounting, finance, marketing, human resources, operations management, and more.
Most online business administration programs offer concentrations that allow students to specialize in an area of interest, such as accounting or marketing. And many programs offer internships and other practical experience opportunities to help students gain real-world experience before graduation.
A bachelor's degree in business administration typically takes four years to complete, although some programs offer accelerated options that can be completed in three years. A bachelor’s in business is one of the most commonly earned degrees earned in the US and, because of that, there will likely still be competition if you earn a degree at this level. If you want to make your way into the C-suites and highest levels of management, you are likely to need an MBA, which will likely require that you have completed a bachelor’s degree.
Online Masters Degree in Business Administration (MS)
An online master’s in business administration (MBA) is a great way to further your business career. MBA programs offer advanced coursework in business topics such as accounting, finance, marketing, and operations management, and they provide concentrations to help you advance in your chosen field or eve to allow you to shift toward a new field of interest. Pursuing an MBA can help you develop the skills and knowledge needed to take on any leadership role within your organization.
There are many different types of online MBA programs available, so it’s important to choose one that fits your needs and goals. Full-time MBA programs typically take two years to complete, while part-time and executive MBA programs can take up to four years. Online MBA programs offer greater flexibility for working professionals, but nearly all of these programs are made for working businesspeople, so they should all offer some flexibility.
No matter which type of program you choose, pursuing a master’s in business administration (MBA) can be a great way to continue to advance your career in business.
Online PhD Degree in Business Administration (PhD)
A PhD is the highest academic degree awarded in the field of business, just as it is in every other. This degree program trains students in advanced business concepts and prepares them for careers in research and teaching at the college level.
Most online PhD programs in business take about four years to complete, though some programs may take up to six years. Students typically take two years of coursework before beginning their dissertation research. A dissertation is a research project that must be completed before you can receive your degree.
There are many different specializations within the field of business administration, so students can tailor their education to their specific interests. Some common specializations include accounting, finance, marketing, and management. And, while academia and research are the most common goals of earning a PhD (and a PhD is rarely required in the field of business), you could also utilize this degree to help you start a new business or work as a consultant.
Online Business Administration Certifications
There are many business administration certification programs available to help students further their education and improve their career prospects. While not required, these programs can provide students with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in a variety of business settings.
Some of the most popular business administration certification programs include the Certified Public Manager (CPM) program and the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. These programs are offered by several colleges and universities and can be completed in as little as one year.
Students who complete a business administration certification program often find that they are better prepared for the workforce and have an edge over their competition when applying for jobs. In addition, many employers prefer to hire candidates who have completed a certificate program and gained further credentials outside of their education.
Become a Business Administration Professional in Virginia
Virginia offers many opportunities for students interested in pursuing a career in business administration. There are a variety of colleges and universities that offer programs in this field, as well as many professional organizations that can help students get started in their careers. Here are some tips on how to become a business administration professional in Virginia.
Step 1: Choose the right college or university
There are many great schools in Virginia that offer programs in business administration. Do your research to find the one that best fits your needs and interests. Your first goal should be to find a program that is fully accredited. Then, you might want to consider if the school will support you through your entire education. For example, if you’re earning an associate degree, do they have a transfer program to a four-year institution?
Step 2: Obtain a master's degree in business administration from an accredited college or university
A master's degree in business administration from an accredited college or university can be obtained in as little as two years. The coursework for a master's degree in business administration typically includes classes in accounting, finance, marketing, and management. A bachelor's degree in business administration or a related field is typically required for admission into a master's program. While you don’t necessarily require a master’s degree for success in the world of business, it can certainly provide you greater access to higher-level roles, promotions, pay increases, and more.
Step 3: Obtain certification
Certification for business administration professionals is available through several organizations, including the Institute of Certified Professional Managers and the American Management Association. Certification ensures that you have the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful and will give you a boost over the competition if you are in a tight job market.
Step 4: Get involved with professional organizations
Business administration students can get involved with professional organizations related to business administration before they even graduate and get started in their careers. The American Institute of Business Administration is a professional organization for business administration students and professionals. The Association of MBAs is another professional organization for business administration students and professionals. MBA students can also get involved with the Student Managed Investment Fund, which is a student-run investment fund that manages real money.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor's in Business Administration?
There are many things you can do with a bachelor’s in business administration. This degree gives you the skills to pursue a wide range of careers. With your degree, you could work in management, marketing, finance, human resources, and more. You could also start your own business or pursue an advanced degree in business administration or another related field. A bachelor’s in this field can open doors to many different career paths. With your degree, you will have the skills to pursue a management position in a variety of industries. You could also work in marketing, finance, human resources, and more. If you are interested in starting your own business, your degree will give you the foundation you need to get started. Or you could pursue an advanced degree in business administration or another related field.
Potential Career Options and Salaries for Business Administration Graduates
- Administrative Coordinator:
An administrative coordinator is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support to the organization. They will perform various administrative duties such as preparing correspondence, handling customer inquiries, scheduling appointments, and maintaining records. They will also be responsible for coordinating the work of other administrative staff.
- Proven administrative or clerical experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- The mean annual wage for first-line supervisors of office and administrative support workers in the US in 2021 was $63,380
- The mean annual wage for first-line supervisors of office and administrative support workers in Virginia is $63,170
- Chief Marketing Manager:
A chief marketing manager is responsible for creating and executing the marketing strategy for the company. They will work with the CEO to develop campaigns, create and oversee the budget, and manage the marketing team.
- Proven experience as a marketing manager or similar role
- Experience developing and executing marketing plans
- Experience managing a team
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
- The median annual wage for marketing managers in the US in 2021 was $133,380 and chief executives earned $179,520
- The mean annual wage for marketing managers in Virginia is $169,990 and chief executives earn $243,750
- Product Manager:
A product manager is responsible for the development, management, and marketing of products. They work with cross-functional teams to ensure that products are meeting customer needs and are profitable.
- Proven experience as a product manager or relevant role
- Experience in product development and launching
- Strong analytical and problem
- The median annual wage for industrial production managers in the US in 2021 was $103,150 and sales managers earned $127,490
- The mean annual wage for industrial production managers in Virginia is $124,870 and sales managers earn $161,990
- Non-Profit Director:
A non-profit director is responsible for the overall management and operation of an organization. They will develop and implement strategies to fundraise and grow the organization. They will also be responsible for building relationships with donors and other key stakeholders.
- Proven experience as a Non-Profit Director or similar role
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to develop and implement strategies
- Experience in fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree in business, nonprofit management, or related field
- The median annual wage for public relations managers in the US in 2021 was $103,150 and fundraising managers earned $100,810
- The mean annual wage for public relations managers in Virginia is $169,870 and fundraising managers earn $127,870
- Banking Branch Manager:
A banking branch manager is responsible for the daily operations of the branch. They oversee the tellers, loan officers, and other staff members, ensure that the branch is running smoothly and efficiently, and develop and implement marketing plans to increase business.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field
- 5+ years of experience in banking operations
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- The median annual wage for financial managers in the US in 2021 was $131,710
- The mean annual wage for financial managers in Virginia is $164,340
- Financial Advisor:
A financial advisor provides advice to clients on how to best manage their money. This may include investing, saving, and spending decisions. Financial advisors may work with individuals or businesses.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, or a related field
- Certification as a financial planner (CFP)
- 2-5 years of experience working as a financial advisor
- The median annual wage for personal financial advisors in the US in 2021 was $94,170
- The mean annual wage for personal financial advisors in Virginia is $131,790
- Team Supervisor:
A team supervisor role is a leadership position responsible for managing a team of employees. This supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the team meets all goals and objectives, as well as providing guidance and mentorship to team members.
- Previous experience leading and managing a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The mean annual wage for first-line supervisors of production and operating workers in the US in 2021 was $67,330. First-line supervisors of retail sales workers earned $46,890 and first-line supervisors of non-retail sales workers earned $92,320
- The mean annual wage for first-line supervisors of production and operating workers in Virginia is $69,430. First-line supervisors of retail sales workers earn $48,830 and first-line supervisors of non-retail sales workers earn $111,300
- Project Manager:
A project manager is responsible for leading and coordinating projects from start to finish according to deadlines, within budget, and within scope. This includes managing a team of employees, contractors, and/or vendors to complete the project on time and within budget.
- Proven experience as a project manager
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills
- Experience with project management software tools
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
- The mean annual wage for project management specialists in the US in 2021 was $98,420
- The mean annual wage for project management specialists in Virginia is $109,980