Get Matched With Healthcare Administration Colleges
What is Healthcare Administration?
In Colorado, health administrators are in high demand. As a Rocky Mountain state, with warm, temperate sunny days, Colorado is a prime site for retirees to relocate. As these retirees age, they will need ever more medical care to deal with the health issues they are facing. The aging population in addition to increased health coverage generally means a higher demand for health care administration.
As of 2020, a health administrator earns $58.70 hourly, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The annual median pay for a health administrator is $122,090, as of 2020.
Health administrators should hold, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree in health administration, though a master’s degree is usually preferred. With their education and any prior work experience they have, health administrators are able to begin working on their first day on the job. Job growth for health administrators is much faster than for other professions, at 32 percent. This field will add more than 139,000 jobs between 2020 and 2030 nationally.
Compare Popular Online Healthcare Administration Programs
Online Healthcare Administration Education in Colorado
Online Bachelor's Degree in Healthcare Administration (BSHCA)
The strongest focus in this Bachelor of Science in Heathcare Administration program are the current regulations affecting healthcare, statistics and informatics, and fiscal concerns regarding the most efficient delivery of needed healthcare.
In addition to the required academic coursework, students also learn how to manage and use effective leadership. This major also equips students with the skills they need to face issues surrounding effective, compassionate healthcare, as well as quality of life questions.
All students are expected to complete 120 credit hours, with the courses in the health administration major being completed in trimesters or semesters, depending on the school.
BS degrees in Healthcare Administration prepare graduates to work in residential settings, hospital units and long-term care facilities.
Online Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration (MHA)
You will find online healthcare administration graduate programs at the business school or within the Health and Human Services department. Every course is developed and built on management concepts and techniques. This enables online graduates to face and figure out health-related issues.
Students can earn a Master of Science in health care administration or an MBA in health administration. Incoming health professionals who already hold their MBA are able to take a Master of Science in healthcare administration. Another option for those with an MBA is to complete an online master level certificate in health care administration. Because students may already hold jobs, they can take classes aimed at healthcare administration professinoals who need evening hours or an online Master of Science program. Classes are small, giving students more one-on-one time with instructors.
Many schools also offer an accelerated program track, allowing graduates to finish their courses on a faster schedule. The classes in this track are created specifically for those business-minded professionals who are already in the healthcare industry.
For students who are already healthcare professionals, they can take MBA completion programs and add that to their list of achievements. This degree prepares students for C-level and senior management positions in the healthcare field. Students learn both decision-making and analytic processes.
Closely related to healthcare administration degrees is the health care management program, which is considered to be one of the highest-quality degrees available. Students in this program will have their health care management courses combined with other business disciplines (economics, marketing and accounting). This program gives each student a uniquely strong basis as they start out on their new careers in healthcare.
The online curriculum equips students with both experiential and course learning so that, when they graduate, they will be able to face the challenges inherent in the healthcare field.
Graduate students learn communication, leadership and business skills. Class and homework exercises challenge their critical thinking abilities, enabling them to build this critical skill. They will increase their health care knowledge and experience strong personal growth.
Upon graduation, students will be able to find employment in government agencies at all levels, corporations, hospitals, private physician practices, wellness programs, educational institutions, health departments, long-term care facilities, insurance companies and industrial health programs.
Find Your Online Healthcare Administration Program
Employers are seeking health administration candidates. Job positions include:
- Patient assessment standards coordinator for a rehabilitation hospital
- Center manager for a global healthcare company
- Executive director for a senior living facility
- Dental director, community health center
- Clinical director, nursing administration for a university health system
- Facilities manager, children’s hospital
- Accreditation/regulatory specialist, advanced, children’s hospital
- Patient care coordinator, dental practice
- Director of finance, imaging center
- Senior director of cardiovascular service line, university health
Other available health administration positions in Colorado:
- Clinic manager, cardiothoracic, for a health practice
- Director of medical staff services and credentialing for university health service
- Clinical director of perioperative services, for a university health service
- Director of medical staff in Colorado Springs
- Director of surgical services, for a medical center
- Positions for clinic manager in several health organizations
- The Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing needs a health care coverage representative, a rates and payment reform deputy division director and a purchasing and contracts specialist.
LinkedIn has several openings for health administrator and other, related positions. These include:
- Healthcare advisor
- Healthcare management: human resources management
- Practice manager
- Perioperative business analyst
- Telecommute healthcare administration doctoral committee faculty member
- Market manager, physician practice operations
- Senior director of cardiovascular service line
- Vice president of operations, senior community
- Quality and systems improvement director
- National risk adjustment director
- Program operations director
- Manager of Health Information Management, Kindred Hospital
- System manager, contracts
- Practice manager (supervisory)
- Center office administrator, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus
- Branch manager of medical operations
- Division vice president of hospital operations
- CDOC Health services administrator (Canon City)
- Executive director, home health operations
- Executive director, senior living
- Senior consultant
- Quality improvement advisor, health group
- Director of an e-Health company
- Senior solutions manager
- Clinical administration director at a cancer center
- Behavioral health business development
- Chief medical information officer
- Clinical professional development educator
- Practice administrator
- Executive director in senior care
- System contract manager, general medical category
- Practice administrator, Department of Medicine
- Business systems analyst Senior
- Regional director of operations, senior living residence
- NHA healthcare administrator, senior living residence
- Development director, hospice and home care
- Practice manager, hospital
- Supervisor, healthcare operations for Medicare
- Hospital clinic manager, multi-site
- Clinic/practice manager, urgent care clinics
- Chief operations manager, private practice
- Practice administrator, eye care center
- Clinic manager, therapy center
- Medical practice regional manager
- Manager, preoperative services, university health setting
- Director of health services, senior living facility
- Director of accountable care operations, community health center
- Health plan national clinical informatics executive
- Managing clinical director hospice
- Director of health services, residential facility
- Director of ambulatory operations, health center
- Center director, family center
- Director clinical nursing services, women’s health
- Practice administrator, eye care practice
- Director of trauma services
- NIMAA chief executive officer, health center
Find Online Healthcare Administration Schools
Additional Helpful Healthcare Administration Resources
Prominent Employers in Colorado
As a Southwestern state blessed with sunny days throughout the year, Colorado is a major destination for travelers, families and retirees who want to relocate. Different parts of the state have their own particular attractions. This leads to large companies and organizations with thousands of employees.
- HealthONE Corporation, in Denver, employs 11,050
- Centura Health, in Englewood, employs 8,310
- SCL Health Systems, in Denver, employs 8,270
- Kaiser Permanente, in Denver, employs 6,280.
- University of Colorado Health, in Aurora, employs 5,860
- Denver Health employs more than 5,400 people
- Children’s Hospital Colorado in Aurora employs 5,025
- Exempla St. Joseph Hospital in Denver employs 5,000
- Uchealth University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora employs 4,911
- Uchealth Memorial Hospital North in Colorado Springs employs 4,200
- University of Colorado Health, located in Fort Collins, employs 4,000
- Children’s Hospital Colorado, in Colorado Springs, employs 3,500
- Memorial Hospital, in Colorado Springs, employs 2,800
- Uchealth-Mary Lou Beshears, in Colorado Springs, employs 2,800
- Parkview Medical Center Foundation, in Pueblo, employs 2,600
- St. Joseph Hospital, in Denver, employs 2,500
- St. Joseph Hospital,Denver, employs 2,372
Centura Health, located in Englewood, has a network with 15 hospitals, urgent care centers, health neighborhoods, eight affiliate hospitals, emergency centers and mountain clinics. It also boasts more than 100 physician practices and clinics.
Denver Health is Colorado’s largest safety net for healthcare. This organization provides level one healthcare, even if the patient cannot pay for services.
University of Colorado hospital, in Denver, is the state’s and region’s only academic hospital.
Health Administration Associations
Health administrators are at their best when they can communicate and network with one another. For this reason, three state associations have been developed for the benefit of health administrators.
The Colorado Association of Healthcare Executives reaches out every day to the state’s health administrators by offering education, volunteering, networking and mentoring opportunities.
Health administrators who become members of this association can enhance their careers by earning the topmost credential in healthcare management. With board certification, members attain Fellow status (FACHE), which tells other association members that the fellow has everything they need to succeed and mentor others.
Colorado Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) is a professional association that reaches throughout the entire state. Administrators, medical practice managers and executives make up the membership.
CMGMA is an affiliate of the national MGMA. By joining, members are able to benefit from networking and educational opportunities.
CMGMA works to provide its members opportunities for personal and professional growth through education and networking events.
Colorado Health Information Management Association or CHIMA, is focused on attacking health information management professionals into its group. As an affiliate of the national association (AHIMA), CHIMA serves more than 1,000 association members throughout the state.
Health Information Management professionals work in all health settings and insurance companies. Several have branched out on their own, becoming independent consultants so they can contract with healthcare providers and insurers throughout the state. Some independent contractors work in law firms or information systems companies.