Get Matched With Web Development Colleges
What is Web Development?
Web development colleges and degree programs offer students the education and skills they need to pursue a career in web development. Many schools offer both undergraduate and graduate-level degrees, providing learning opportunities for aspiring developers and computer science professionals at all levels. With courses ranging from coding fundamentals to creative design, there is an array of options to choose from when selecting a program that fits individual needs and interests.
These computer science programs are available at public universities, private institutions, and online academies. Students can opt for two- or four-year degrees including associate, bachelor’s, and master's degrees in computer science, information technology, or graphic design. Depending on the university or college chosen, students may also have access to additional specialized certificates in computer science specialties, such as software engineering or mobile application development.
Compare Popular Online Web Development Programs
Online Web Development Education in Hawaii
Web developers use markup language (HTML) as well as other programming languages in computer science such as PHP, CSS, or SQL to build intuitive sites that will meet customer needs but also fall within the required budget constraints. Developers must understand how users interact with websites in order to create optimized designs that make navigation easy. They also fine-tune SEO strategies so that pages rank well in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Web dev looks different depending on who the target users are. Back-end developers focus their work on server-side logic rather than presentation, though they still need to understand front-end technologies, even if those codes do not take center stage on most projects. Full stack developers should have experience working with the entire development stack, from databases to app servers. Ultimately, any successful web developer and all computer science professionals should continually learn about new technologies and general computer science skills so that they are able stay ahead in their field and carve their own career path.
Online Associate Degree in Web Development (AS)
An associate degree in web development can open up exciting opportunities for individuals interested in developing and designing websites. With this degree, students will gain the technical skills needed to get started creating functioning webpages and understand the coding languages utilized in website design. This type of program prepares graduates for a variety of career paths including front-end web developer, full stack web developer, HTML specialist, and more.
Online Bachelors Degree in Web Development (BS)
For those looking to pursue a career in web development, earning a bachelor’s degree is essential. Web development colleges offer many different degree paths that can prepare students for success in this field. With the right education, graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in web development and related tech positions.
Students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in web dev will find there is a wide range of programs available from accredited universities and colleges. Typical coursework may cover topics such as programming languages, database systems, software engineering principles, user experience design, website design and development, mobile application creation, and cloud computing. With these classes, students develop an understanding of how websites are designed and deployed across multiple platforms.
Find Your Online With Web Development Program
Online Masters Degree in Web Development (MS)
Earning a master's degree in web development can open the door to a wide range of career opportunities in the ever-expanding field of web design and development. Whether you're looking to start your own business, take on a leadership role, or simply increase your knowledge and skill set with new courses in computer science and computer programming, there are many colleges and universities offering excellent web dev courses.
From online learning platforms to traditional brick-and-mortar schools, prospective students will find plenty of options for pursuing their master's degree in web development or another related field or computer science program. Many programs offer flexible schedules that accommodate busy lifestyles, with online class options, while some also include internship opportunities with leading tech companies as part of the curriculum.
Online PhD Degree in Web Development (PhD)
The need for web dev professionals is higher than ever, and a PhD in web development can help you stand out from the crowd when it comes to starting your own firm in the field or finding your place among top business professionals. A PhD provides an invaluable level of education that allows individuals to gain expertise in their chosen field. With the right degree program, students can gain practical experience along with theoretical understanding of the subject matter at the highest level of computer science program. Many computer science programs at this level offer online courses as well as in-person learning opportunities.
When looking at colleges and universities that offer degrees in web development or computer science programs with related courses, there are both undergraduate and graduate options available. A PhD in web dev rather than general computer science will focus on more complex topics such as software engineering, data science, human computer interaction, computer programming, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning within the field. Those with a PhD can work as consultants or start their own technology services company.
Online Web Development Certifications
Web development certifications offer an opportunity to learn the essential skills that are needed to develop, maintain, and upgrade web applications. Taking a certification program is an excellent way to demonstrate competency in the field of web dev and other computer science concepts and skills. With a certification, aspiring developers can gain recognition for their knowledge and expertise in web design, coding, scripting, and other technical skills related to developing websites.
Become a Web Developer in Hawaii
Becoming a web developer can be an attractive and profitable career choice that enables you to capitalize on your knowledge of coding and programming technologies. Here are the steps to becoming a web developer in the State of Hawaii.
Step 1: Earn a Degree in Computer Science:
Most employers require an undergraduate degree in computer science, information systems, or software engineering for employees in this field. A degree can also provide important technical knowledge about programming languages and operations that are used widely in web development.
Step 3: Work on Projects with Real-World Outcomes
You can gain invaluable experience in web development by working on university projects or real-world projects that have practical outcomes. This type of work is valuable both to those who hire developers and to those looking to break into the industry who may want to show potential employers what they’ve learned while working on practical projects by maintaining a portfolio of the sites they have worked on with special notes of what features they created specifically.
Step 4: Stay Current with Regular Upgrades
In order to stay up to date with current trends and technologies you must continually update your skill set as new tools emerge, new versions get released, or existing technologies become outmoded. Keeping up with emerging changes helps your career grow and it also keeps you sharp when it comes time for job interviews.
Find Online With Web Development Programs
What Can I Do with a Bachelor's in Web Development?
Potential Careers for Web Development Graduates
- Full Stack Development:
Full-stack development is the process of developing both the front end and back end of web applications. It requires an understanding of the architecture, coding languages, and technology stacks used to build a website or app.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Proven experience as a full stack developer or similar role
- The median annual wage for developers and digital designers in the US in 2021 was $79,300
- The mean annual wage for developers in Hawaii is $68,130
- Computer Engineer:
Computer engineers are responsible for maintaining the operation of computers through diagnostics tests and troubleshooting. This work may involve creating software applications or network designs that meet business requirements while also ensuring the system runs efficiently by reactivating items like failed features, debugging code, or monitoring performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Expert knowledge of hardware architectures, operating systems, networks, and programming languages
- Experience with system design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- The median annual wage for computer hardware engineers in the US in 2021 was $128,170
- The mean annual wage for computer hardware engineers in Hawaii is $114,280
- Computer Network Architect:
A computer network architect is someone who designs and implements computer networks that allow computers and other devices to easily connect and exchange data. Computer network architects have a unique skillset combining areas of computer science, information technology, engineering, math, project management, and communication.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Knowledge of computer networking principles and protocols
- Experience with network architecture design
- Hands-on experience with network installations, maintenance, troubleshooting and security
- The median annual wage for computer network architects in the US in 2021 was $120,520
- The mean annual wage for computer network architects in Hawaii is $106,450
- Information Security Analyst:
An information security analyst plays a critical role in protecting organizations' computer networks, systems, and data from cyber-threats. This position’s primary focus is to monitor for malicious activities, investigate incidents of potential network breaches, and suggest improvements to the organization’s overall cyber security posture. The analyst is required to adhere to standard security policies and procedures as well evaluate new processes or protocols that can improve existing infrastructure or reduce risk exposure.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Knowledge of relevant laws, regulations and industry best practices
- Previous experience in IT Security or Information Assurance
- Understanding of network architecture, protocols and technologies
- The median annual wage for information security analysts in the US in 2021 was $102,600
- The mean annual wage for information security analysts in Hawaii is $119,540
- SEO Specialist:
An SEO specialist will be responsible for developing and executing strategic search engine optimization plans to improve website rankings within organic search results.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Proven experience with SEO tools, such as Moz and Ahrefs
- The mean annual wage for market research analysts and marketing specialists in the US in 2021 was $76,080
- The mean annual wage for market research analysts and marketing specialists in Hawaii is $65,540
- Web Developer:
Web developers have the creative and technical skills needed to turn a website or mobile application idea into reality.
- Proven experience as a web developer or similar role
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Good communication and time management skills
- The median annual wage for developers and digital designers in the US in 2021 was $78,300
- The mean annual wage for web developers in Hawaii is $68,130
- Data Hosting and Related Services Professionals:
Data hosting and related services professionals are responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of digital infrastructure that houses and stores a company’s data. They ensure data backup and recovery, as well as help problem-solve if data and services become unavailable. Additionally, these professionals also ensure optimal end-user experience with every application or service hosted.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role
- The median annual wage for operations research analysts in the US in 2021 was $82,360
- The mean annual wage for operations research analysts in Hawaii is $104,540
- Applications Developer:
Applications developers are responsible for creating applications which use algorithms to operate a device’s hardware or communication protocols to interact with networks and databases. Application developers program explicit instructions for computers to execute. Many application developers specialize in one particular type of app, such as gaming apps or entertainment apps. Others may develop a suite of related apps that all work together within an operating system or platform-specific ecosystem.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming principles
- Ability to troubleshoot complex technical problems
- The median annual wage for software developers, quality assurance analysts, and testers in the US in 2021 was $109,030
- The mean annual wage for software developers in Hawaii is $112,410